Re: Help: Unable to allocate memory for work

From: Kate Hedstrom <kate_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:29:18 -0900

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:55:39PM +0000, nothingtolose terry wrote:
> Hi, I write a short script for svdstd, left and right field array size is
> about
> 8000*30 and 8200*30 float numbers.
> I get error: fatal:svdstd: Unable to allocate memory for work array
>
> How should I do?
>
> BTW, I run it at IBM P690 machine with 32 G Mem.
>
> Thank you very much.

Try running "ulimit -a" to see what your personal limits are. There may
be 32 GB, but they only let you use part of it.

f2n1 8% ulimit -a
time(seconds) 7200
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 2097152
stack(kbytes) unlimited
memory(kbytes) 2097152
coredump(blocks) 20000
nofiles(descriptors) 2000

The numbers to note here are datasize and memoryuse, both currently set
to 2 GB. In this case, I'm actually on the front end to a P690 and
would have to submit a batch job to use the P690 proper - and the
script would have to adjust the limits to be larger than the default:

ulimit -dS unlimited
ulimit -mS unlimited

Kate

--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
kate_at_arsc.edu       University of Alaska, Fairbanks