Re: NCL 4.2.0.a033 for Cygwin/X?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:52:24 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Alex Gardner wrote:

> Is the new version of NCL (4.2.0.a033) going to be released for Cygwin/X? If
> so When?

Hi Alex,

The Cygwin version has been giving me grief, but unfortunately I
haven't had a lot of time to donate to working on it. The problem is
my computer is old and when I last upgraded Cygwin/X on it, it blew
up. I've been trying to get it reinstalled without much luck.
I will keep working on it as I've made some breakthroughs.

To be brutally honest, I don't recommend that people run NCL under
Cygwin because it's just not pretty (can be slow and unpredictable).
I know this isn't a good answer, however, because there are a lot of
Windows users out there. However, if it ever comes time to buy a new
machine, I would reconsider the choice of a PC running Windows, and
instead recommend a Mac running MacOSX or a PC running Linux. :-)

I'll keep this group posted as I know there are a lot of people
anxiously waiting for this version. Everybody's patience and
understanding is appreciated!

--Mary