Re: ncl install - shared library error

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:16:24 -0600

Hi Micah,

> I just installed the ncl-4.2.0.a032_LINUX_RH9_PC binaries on a Fedora
> Core 4 Linux system.
> I'm getting an error while loading shared libararies: libg2c.so.0 .
>
> The libg2c.so.0 file is not in my /usr/lib directory as it is on other
> machines running ncl successfuly.
> I also tried installing the latest 32 bit Linux binaries with the same
> resutl.  Any suggestions?

There are known problems with FC4 and libg2c.so -- specifically, the
installation of GNU compiler tools and associated libraries may not be
correctly installed (or installed at all!). I personally experienced
this when my x86 test machine was upgraded from RH9 to FC4, and the GNU
compiler tools went from v3.x to v4.x Are you running the v4.x GNU
compiler tools, or something else?

Short of installing the GNU tools (which does work, I did this), you
can make a link from an existing libg2c.so on your host to the /usr/lib
directory. You may find what you're looking for in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhad-linux/X.Y.Z where 'X.Y.Z' is some
previous version of GNU compiler libraries (for example, 3.2.3) -- if
you had these installed. If not, this route won't work for you. This
is not optimal but may hold you over until such time that a proper
RPM/install can be done for the compiler(s) of your choosing.

-Rick.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/CISL/SCD/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin_at_ucar.edu             303.497.1832