Notification of problem reading certain GRIB files

From: David Ian Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:07:38 -0600

To all NCL users,

Recently we have become aware of a problem that affects only those
users who read GRIB files with
variables that contain all three of the dimensions: initial_time,
forecast_time, and level.

As an example here is the signature of one such variable:

float TSWR_GDS4_HYBL ( initial_time0, forecast_time1, lv_HYBL2,
g4_lat_5, g4_lon_6 )

In cases such as these, NCL presents the correct summary of the
variable, but the data returned by NCL may be in the wrong order.
Subscripting for a particular element may actually return a different
element. No error messages are produced but the wrong data may be
retrieved.

We hope that, because from our experience GRIB files usually have only
one of the time dimensions, few NCL
users will be affected by this problem. To those who are, we apologize.

We have now fixed the problem and will have new binaries available next
week for anyone who needs them.
   -the NCL development team