Re: Why segmental fault?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:25:24 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Jax,

NCL should be able to handle the size of the data files that you
mention, but maybe there's something in your script that is causing it
to run out of memory. A few possible culprits are:

   1. You are creating a lot of local variables (or else a few really
      big ones), and not freeing them up after you are finished with them
      (with a call to "delete(xxx)").

   2. You have some do loops with a lot of code in them.

   3. You have some heavily nested do loops.

   4. You are writing a netCDF file the "inefficient" way.

Please look over your script and see if you have anything like the above
that you might be able to clean up. #1-3 should be fairly straightforward,
and with #2 and 3, it can really help if you move code outside a "do"
loop.

With #4, it can be a bit more involved. If you are writing lots of
netCDF files, or a lot of variables to one netCDF file, Please see:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/method_2.shtml

for information on the efficient way to write netCDF files.

If none of the above helps, then you can email me the script and
I'll take a look at it.

--Mary