working with oversize postscript output

From: David B. Reusch <dbr_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:02:21 -0500

I am trying to generate postscript larger than standard output media
sizes (e.g., Letter) and have managed to get NCL to do this using the
gsnPaperWidth and gsnPaperHeight resources. I've also managed to get
ghostview (gv) to show me the whole page (by setting media large
enough). My problem is that I haven't been able to get any other
application to handle the larger size. For example, Illustrator assumes
my 11" x 17" output is just Letter (8.5" x 11") size, so I only get half
of the figure. I've tried a few other tools (ps2epsi, ps2pdf, convert
from ImageMagick) and had no better results. I know this isn't strictly
a NCL issue but I was hoping there might be some advice/hints out there
in the NCL community, especially given the flexibility NCL has for
output media sizing.

I did see somewhere on the NCL site that eps output from NCL is to be
avoided since that's hard-coded at 8.5" x 11" output. I'm curious about
the history of that -- presumably that's an eps limitation of some kind?

I've also tried having NCL create a PDF but end up with the same results
-- a Letter-size page with only half my output showing.

The goal, by the way, is to create poster size output that I can either
print directly (if NCL does a good enough job on its own) or read into
Illustrator for final polish (but not to include scaling from Letter
size up to my desired poster size) and/or to merge into an existing
Illustrator document.

This is all on a Mac with OS 10.4.8, so options available on that
platform would be best.

thanks,
dave

--