Re: [ncl-talk] ncl installation

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:25:37 -0700

Hello,

First, for future reference, there is now a mail list for NCL install
questions, see: http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/ncl-install
> I have installed ncl_ncarg-5.0.0.Linux_x86_64_gcc3.tar on my x86_64-
> linux using the binaries compiled with gcc 3.x from ESG
>
> While checking the installation, i get the error
> $ ncl gsun01n.ncl
> ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0: cannot open
>
> Where should be libg2c.so.0 file?

You must have the GCC C compiler (v3.x) libraries installed on your
host. The requirement of having libg2c.so is a vestige of
this version of the GCC tools, as the gcc/g77 compilers required this
library to interact.

Newer (v4.x) versions of the GCC compilers don't have this library
requirement; if you can use a GCC v4.x compiled binary,
that may be a better option for you.

You can set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
where libg2c.so lives, as:

csh shells: setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /path/to/libg2c

sh shells: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libg2c

----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin_at_ucar.edu 303.497.1832