Re: NCL dependancy on libg2c

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:52:57 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Simon Wood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed the latest version of NCL
> (ncl-4.2.0.a034.Linux_i686_gcc3.tar.gz) on my linux box:
> $ uname -a
> Linux xxx 2.6.18-gentoo-r2 #11 Fri Feb 16 01:22:53 NZDT 2007 i686 Pentium
> III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> On the download site it says that this version is for 'NCL 4.2.0.a034
> 32-bit binary for i686 chips for LINUX (using GNU 3.x or 4.x)', but, when
> I try to run NCL I get the following error:
>
> ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> My understanding is that libg2c is a legacy dependency from gcc3 / g77
> days, but as per most modern linux distros Gentoo uses gcc4 (gcc (GCC)
> 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)) which includes gfortran instead of g77 and does
> not provide a libg2c library.
>
> What is the expected work around here? How is this distribution supposed
> to work for GCC 4.x (which is what I assume 'using GNU 3.x or 4.x' means
> in the above description) as is?
>
> I did a quick search of the mail-list archives but the only reference to
> this problem was from someone who actually had the libraries sitting on
> their machine but not in the default location, unfortunately this is not
> the case for me. Anybody else come across this problem?
>
> kind regards
>
> Simon

Hi Simon,

The information on the ESG website is misleading when it states that
the 32-bit Linux binary is for gcc version 3 or 4. It was actually
built using gcc version 3. I tested it on a system that only had gcc
version 4 installed and it worked just fine. What I didn't realize is
that the system with version 4 also had an old copy of the libg2c.so
library on it, and hence I didn't get the "libg2c.so.0: cannot open shared
object file" error message.

As our in-house Linux expert pointed out to me internally,
the libg2c.so library is indeed not part of gcc version 4, and
hence this can be a problem if you try to run a gcc 3 executable.

We have gcc version 4 installed on one of our Linux systems. We'll
do some testing on it to make sure everything's working with it,
and then we'll provide you with a new binary and also put it on the
ESG website.

Cheers,