80-character filename limit

From: Jack Glendening <ncarg_drjack_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:46:56 -0800

I'm getting a ncgm workstation open failure because I'm using a
fullpath filename which is longer than 80 characters. (I have to do
this because my pwd is directory "A" but using ncl plot files in
directory "B" with output going to directory "C"). I seem to recall
there was a workaround for this problem but can't remember what it
was, and neither NCL nor google searchs find anything. Is there
indeed a workaround ?

                   Jack