Re: Re: [ncl-talk] how to change the page size of pdf?

From: <xiexin163_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:41:16 +0800

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help.
Oh, I just forgot to paste my code the last time.

I noticed that the resource you mentioned in the mail
gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent and gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent
can adjust the white space between the plots but setting
these two resoureces to 0 won't adjust the white space just out of
the whole one plots(actually the margin). So I didn't use them in my code.

The data is from the NCL web.
My code is as followings:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

begin

f = addfile("./data/sst8292a.nc", "r")
T = f->SSTA

wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf", "output")

res = True
res_at_cnFillOn = True
res_at_gsnSpreadColors = True
res_at_lbOrientation = "Vertical"

res_at_gsnDraw = False
res_at_gsnFrame = False

plot1 = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, T(1,:,:),res)
plot2 = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, T(2,:,:),res)

a4_height = 29.7
a4_width = 23
cm_per_inch = 2.54
panelres = True
panelres_at_gsnPaperWidth = a4_width/cm_per_inch
panelres_at_gsnPaperHeight = a4_height/cm_per_inch
panelres_at_gsnMaximize = True

gsn_panel(wks, (/plot1, plot2/),(/1,2/), panelres)

end

and I got output.pdf in the attachment.
But when I open the this PDF with Acrobat Reader,
I check the document properties and found that the page size
is still 21.5cmx27.9cm(looks like letterpaper)
but not 23cmx29.7cm as specified in gsnPaperWidth and
gsnPaperHeight. There is too much margin
in right and left sides of the plot.I tried to trim them and
change the gsnPaperWidth to 10cm but when I open it it is still a
21.5cmx27.9cm one not 10cmx27.9cm. The only difference between
the two is that the latter plot is on the left of page not like
the former one(in the center). But there is still too much white
space on the right this time.

I doubt that the resource gsnPaperWidth does not actually change the page
size but a virtual page size which is used to the position the plot
is that so?

I noticed that there have been many asking about solving this
unwanted white space problem. But it seems that only external
tools can solve this. The eps2eps or the ImageMagick convert
tool with -trim option will trim the the area containing
nothing. So they trim the unrelevant white space out of the
plot which we usually do not need when we want to insert the
plot into slides or documents.

I wonder if there is a way to change the actual page size of PDF.
If so, I can change it to a some like 10cmx29.7cm narrow one and
set the gsnMaximize resource. Then the plot can fully fill the page, right?

Another problem is that I found that wkOrientation does change the
page orientation. However, the gsnPaperOrientation does not. Either
"portrait" and "landscape" output are the same.

I really appreciate your help!

Xie Xin

In your mail: