formatting output ascii files

From: EVA SALGADO SANCHEZ <Eva.Salgado_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:08:30 +0200

Dear all,

I'm new user to NCL. I've been playing around and looking through the documentation and I didn't find a way to name an output file in the way I need it. I read data from a grib file and extract the value of a variable (array) into an ascii output file (no problem). I use write_matrix and can name the different ascii output files like:

temp.1.45
temp.10.45
temp.100.45

(the sample values 1, 10, 100 are read from another variable of the grib file)

but I would like them to be

temp.001.45
temp.010.45
temp.100.45

Is it possible to do it directly with ncl? (NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a034)

Thank you in advance for any possible help,

Eva