Writing ascii data with NCL

From: O'Neill, Susan - Portland, OR <susan.oneill_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:46:39 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I am new to NCL and the ncl-talk list and have a question that I am
hoping is easy to answer.

Do you know if NCL can write to an ascii file in append mode? I would
like to loop through various hours of NARR files outputting a single
line to an ascii file with each hour. The asciiwrite function seems to
only do a single dump, so I have to load all the data in one big array.
The problem I'm running into is that that array is becoming HUGE and my
memory is using swap which is drastically reducing my runtime ... It
would be nice just to output the data every hr instead. Do you know if
that's possible?

Any insights/tips would be much appreciated, thank you!

        Susan

Susan M. O'Neill, Ph.D.
Air Quality Engineer
USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
Air Quality and Atmospheric Change Team
1201 NE Lloyd Blvd., Suite 1000
Portland, Oregon 97232-1202
503-273-2438 (work)