Re: large files

From: David Ian Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:28:19 -0600

Hi Mike,
The most significant difference between the two files that I can see is
that in cru_ts_2_10.1901-2002.pre.nc the time dimension is 'unlimited',
whereas in cru_ts_2_10.1901-2002.pre.climo.repeat.jja.nc it is a regular
fixed size dimension. There are significant differences in the storage
and
retrieval strategies that the NetCDF library uses depending on whether
a dimension
is 'unlimited'. I am somewhat surprised to see that the file with the
unlimited
dimension has better performance on the Mac. I might have expected it
to be the
other way around, and this could be worth investigating. But in the
meantime, in
answer to your last question, I think if you want to get the same
performance
for each file, you should make them both the same with respect to the
'unlimited'
dimension.

How much RAM do you have on your Mac? That, of course, is a signifcant
difference
between your Mac and tempest.
  -dave