interpolate (and extrapolate) SST data over land

From: Sang-ki Lee <Sang-ki.Lee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:40:36 -0400

Hi,

I have a Hadley center SST which will go through a complex
interpolation process using CAM3 SST generation package.

My problem is that the CAM3 SST generation package does not
allow any missing values over land grid points in the original
Hadley center SST file. So, I need to interpolate (and
extrapolate) SST data over land and ice regions. I cannot simply
put any value on land points because CAM3 uses "land fraction"
concept. In fact, I should be very careful with the
interpolation because some unrealistic SST can be created
over the coastal region. I found some discussion about this and
related topics from ncl-talk, but not enough for me to do it
myself.

Could you tell me how this can be done in NCL? It will be also
very helpful to know how this is done in NCAR, and NCDC/NOAA
(if anybody know)........

Thank you.

Sang-ki

Dr. Sang-ki Lee