Re: Plotting a non-standard WRF projection

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:47:58 +0000

On 5/17/07, Mary Haley <haley_at_ucar.edu> wrote:

> For some reason, the WRF_po_1.ncl example has access to the 2D lat/lon
> values (lat2d and lon2d), but is not using them to do the
> overlay. Instead, it is attempting to set up the map projection
> correctly, and then just draw the contours straight on top without any
> transformation taking place (this is what setting tfDoNDCOverlay to

Yeh, I really didn't know any better, but that's the impression I was getting.
I noticed in one of your Getting Started example that you were actually
passing the coordinates in along with the data, so it was all
"synchronizing," but the WRF example didn't seem to do that.

> Try this instead, and see if you get different results:
>
> Right after you retrieve lat2d and lon2d, add the following lines:
>
> x_at_lat2d = lat2d
> x_at_lon2d = lon2d
>
> then:
>
> res_at_tfDoNDCOverlay = False (or else just remove this line since it
> is False by default.)

This all worked perfectly, thank you! I'm trying to do this with
some GRIB1 files, too, and then convert some to Mercator-like
projection, so you may hear back :)

Thanks,

Don

--
Arctic Region Supercomputing Center / U. Montana
http://weather.arsc.edu/