Offset in y-axis position

From: Arindam Chakraborty <arindam_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:10:43 -0400

Dear users,
    I've recently started using NCL and got stuck with a simple problem.
I want to plot a single curve using one of the x-y plot routines
(possibly gsn_csm_xy). The y axis should be at an offset from the left
edge of the x axis (very similar to the V-axis in the example
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/xy_19_3_lg.png).
However, I'm not able to find which resources to be set to get this.
I've tried to set res_at_amOrthogonalPosF to a negative value (-0.2 or so)
but the error message was: warning:amOrthogonalPosF is not a valid
resource in xyplot_xy at this time. My NCL version is 4.3.0.

    In addition, I've few more queries:
1) Is it possible to run a script from ncl command line?
2) Is there any way to let NCL know which is a longitude/latitude (etc)
dimension in a NetCDF file from the units of the variable, and set
default analysis region the way we want (other than subscripting like
{10:30}).

PS: The numerous graphical and data analysis functions NCL has are
really impressive. Especially, the ability to use dimensions other than
x-y-z-t is very useful if there is an ensemble of runs. Also the legend
resources is very handy, among many others.

Thanks a lot for any help.

arindam

--
 ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY