Re: ncl failed `GLIBC_2.4' not found

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:09:40 -0600

Hello Carlos,

> After that I installed the ncl-4.3.0.Linux_i686_gcc4 binaries (my
> gcc version is 4.0.2).
> Running NCL...
> ncl: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by
> ncl)
>
> ncl failed.
> ===
>
> I went to check and found that my /lib/tls/libc.so.6 version is
> `GLIBC_2.3.5'.
>
> I was able to found the RPM (glibc-2.4-31.12.3.src.rpm) from http://
> rpm.pbone.net.
> I installed it with Yast (which prompt me to insert Suse 10.0 CD 1)
> but everything remained the same.
>
> Then, I tried to install with Yast another RPM
> (glibc-2.4-31.1.i686.rpm) from http://rpm.pbone.net but there were
> a number of conflicts (in the list bellow) and I cancelled it.

Disclaimer: I have not personally experienced this problem, but have
researched it a bit and made the following suggestion to
others, and it has helped.

My admittedly limited understanding of the problem means that you do
have to install the 'development glibc v2.4' files (typically
from an RPM file).

The symbol that must be resolved is only defined in the newer
library. The host on which we build against gcc v4 is updated to
this distribution version.

Two distributions (there may be more):

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/10.1/i686/glibc-
devel-2.4-31.i686.html

and

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/4107246/com/glibc-
devel-2.4-7pclos2007.i586.rpm.html

The conflicts you see using YaST to upgrade may or may not create
future problems, I cannot say. However I did ask a
systems person here and the suggestion was to continue with the
upgrade as it would replace necessary conflicting files.
That said, there are no guarantees as to what would happen.

As well, as another person suggested, you might try the gcc v3 NCL
distribution.

-Rick.
----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS