Plotting non-standard projections from GRIB output

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:13:07 +0000

Hi,

Several weeks ago you all pulled miracles and helped me
plot my WRF netCDF output on non-standard projections,
essentially by having me make my lat and lon variables
attributes of the field I wanted to plot, and getting rid
of the assumption that these were native projections.
The underlying problem, I believe, was that the center
lon and the standard lon are not the same in these
projections.

Now I'm trying to apply the same logic to GRIB output
(the GRIB output was derived from the WRF netCDF
files using WRF-Post), but this same logic (which seems
reasonable to me) isn't working. As before with the
netCDF files, the Alaska Range is winding up in the
wrong place, etc.

I would be inclined to question the validity of the GRIB
output files, but the Fairbanks NWS office has been
ingesting them for AWIPS successfully for over a year
now (and, I have an email into their guy to see if he might
have any hints).

I'm attaching the script that I've been trying to make work
(almost exactly the same as my script for netCDF files,
with the exception of different variable names).

Sample GRIB files are available at:

http://weather.arsc.edu/ForecastProducts/NorthAlaska6/grib/2007061912/

and the corresponding netCDF files (the "native" WRF output which was
used to generate the GRIB files) are available at:

http://weather.arsc.edu/ForecastProducts/NorthAlaska6/wrfout/2007061912/

I did try ncl_convert2nc just for the heck of it, but that produced
disastrous results :)

I should note that IDV tends to produce the same sort of graphic as
this NCL script does (but it also does so with the netCDF file), with
the terrain in the wrong place.

I realize this may be a complex problem, and that "maybe" the solution
is for me to just give up on this stupid projection I've been using, but
I might as well ask.

Thanks,

Don Morton

--