Re: Plotting Customize Station Model Symbol (WNSTNM)

From: Fred Clare <fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:13:54 -0600

On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:17 AM, Hassan Gilani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can we plot customize station model symbol using NCL.
>
> I am plotting surface chart using SYNOP reports and if some value
> like, VISIBILITY is missing in the report I have to place 'XX' ( at
> the location of VV in station model ) and similarly for other values.
>
> Is there any function or resource in NCL that can help me do this
> OR any suggestions how can I achieve this?
>
> Thanx in advance, Please let me know if i have made things
> complicated then I will try to post sample images.
>
> w8ing for reply
>
> Hassan.

Currently there is nothing in the wmstrnm code that would
allow you to do what you want. I have looked at the code
and substantial work would be required to implement
your request and fully test the code.

I examined the possibility of creating a shared object
out of wnstnm.f that would be accessible from NCL so
that you could modify the code if you were so inclined,
but that is not possible since the Fortran code needs
to inquire from NCL information about the open
workstations and there in no Fortran interface for
doing that.

The only possibility I can see is for you to actually plot
your "XX" values using an NCL text function. But this is
going to be a frustrating trial and error procedure and
is very problematic since the positions of the plotted
symbols are adjusted depending on the direction of the
wind barb and what symbols are present. For example,
if the wind barb is vertical, then CH and CM need
to be repositioned so that they do not overwrite the
wind barb. But if CH and CM are not present, then their
positions are immaterial. On the other hand, if CH and CM
are not present, but you want to plot "XX" for them, then
their positions and text bounding boxes are needed for
repositioning those symbols.

We will put this on our list of tasks, but it is not going
to happen in the near future.

Fred Clare