Re: Question about vpYF, extents and gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:12:39 -0600 (MDT)

Michael,

Adam's (offline) suggestion is a good one. Sometimes people will do:

    res_at_tiMainString = ""

to blank out a string, but this may still cause some white space to be
reserved. It is better to try setting res_at_tiMainOn to False as Adam
suggested.

Another suggestion is have you actually tried setting the
vpWidthF/HeightF/YF,XF resources yourself to control exactly where the
plot is drawn? If you do this, however, you also need to make sure
res_at_gsnMaximize is not set to True.

However, if you just move the plot up to get rid of the white space at
the top, then you will introduce white space at the bottom. I guess
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, because I think you
would need to skew the aspect ratio of your map in order to truly get
rid of all white space. If you are okay with doing this, then you can
try setting res_at_mpShapeMode = "FreeAspect".

Finally, are you just trying to get rid of white space in general? If
so, then the tool that you are using to convert it to png might have
an option for this. For example, with "convert" you can use "-trim".

--Mary