Re: Removing Nongeographical Plot Boundaries

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:47:17 -0600

Hi Bruce,

I had never noticed that line before, but I think I understand why it is
being drawn. That line separates "North America" from "Central America"
in the NCL geophysical string constant list. North America, Central
America, South America, Eurasia, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica are
all outlined when you set res_at_mpOutlineBoundarySets = "Geophysical", as
are all boundaries separating land from ocean. (If you expand your
domain you can see that another line is drawn at the border of Panama
and Columbia, which is also the border between Central America and South
America.)

Anyway, the way to not show that line is to set the following:

res_at_mpOutlineBoundarySets = "NoBoundaries"
res_at_mpOutlineSpecifiers = "Land"

Coincidentally we are going to be setting up a NCL applications web page
that will better explain how to draw various boundaries, such as how to
draw a single country or state, or how to outline a specified list of
countries... I will make sure that an example showing how to remove
these lines finds its way onto that page..
Adam