Want to plot precip over terrain

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:17:27 +0000

Hi, I haven't seen a specific example on this,
but I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible -
I'd like to be able to plot precip (with colour-filled
contours, so it looks like a radar image) over
terrain height (again with colour-filled contours).
Here's a picture of the precip without the terrain

http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/WX/MSOCWA6/3hrPrecip-d03.gif

Right now, the above server doesn't seem to be working, so another
place to go is http://weather.arsc.edu/ and look at the leftmost
animated GIF.

What's missing in those pictures is terrain, for geographic reference.

I've played around with this with overlays, but one of the problems seems
to be that I'm unable to use different colormaps for the two different plots.
It appears that a colormap is assigned to a workspace rather than a plot?

I realize I "could" use contour lines rather than filled contours for one of
the fields, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Related to this - is there an example out there that might illustrate a painless
way of plotting majour cities on a map (ideally on top of terrain, and
underneath
precip :))? I vaguely recall somewhere reading about the ability to bring in
a database of "place names" but can't recall where I saw that.

Thanks for any help,

Don Morton

--
Arctic Region Supercomputing Center