Re: ncl_convert2nc chokes on large files

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:17:43 -0600

My speculation is that neither a design issue or a memory leak [bug].
Rather your memory is just not large enough to handle the file.

Typically, if a GRIB file is converted to netCDF [float] the
size of the nc file is 2-3 time larger than thye GRIB file.

GRIB may not be pretty but it is very efficient.

If you want you can ftp the file to the

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
anonymous
cd incoming
put 4oper.fc.ml.19970116-19970120.grib
quit

Let me know when you have done this.

William Gallery wrote:
> I am trying to convert a 1.3 Gig grib file to NetCDF using
> ncl_convert2nc. The program aborted after several hours with a message
> that it was unable to allocate memory. When I ran 'top' while
> ncl_convert2nc was running, it showed that ncl was using 89% of the
> memory but was using less than 1% of the CPU. I suspect that it was
> spending all its time paging memory until it ran out of virtual
> memory. When I ran ncl_convert2nc with the -v option to extract only
> a small subset of the data, the program ran to completion.
>
> Is this a bug (memory leak?) or a design issue?
>
> Setup:
>
> Computer:
> Dual core intel 32 processor, 2 Gig memory, Linix, gfortran compiler
>
> NCL version: 4.3.0
>
> Input data file:
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 wgallery green 1322235040 Aug 1 14:51
> e4oper.fc.ml.19970116-19970120.grib
> This is an NCAR era40 (ds121.1) file.
>
> Command:
> ncl_convert2nc e4oper.fc.ml.19970116-19970120.grib
>
> Error message:
> Original message lost but it was from MALLOC saying unable to
> alloocate memory followed by a segmentation fault
>
> Bill Gallery

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |