Re: plot of contours not doing what I tell it to

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:49:19 -0600

Hi Erik,

Sounds like there's something wrong with your coordinate variables. Can
you put the following in your code:
printVarSummary(a)
printVarSummary(slp)
and email me back the results offline? We'll report back to the group
once we have this figured out...
Adam

Erik Noble wrote:
> Hi Thanks.
> My data is a regional dataset, meaning that it goes from 35W to 35E
> (West Africa). When I do eliminate my mpMin/mpMax resources, I do get a
> plot of the globe with contours, but i know that the variable "slp" only
> pertains to the region. So its plotting West African SLP over the whole
> globe....? Also, the contours are too far apart to be realistic.
>
> what else can i do?
> -Erik
> On Aug 23, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Adam Phillips wrote:
>
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> I just read in a global slp data file I had here, used your exact
>> resource list, and am getting contours.
>>
>> When you say that the data goes from 35E, 35W, do you mean that there
>> is data from 35W eastwards towards 35E? Or, is there data from 35E->325E?
>>
>> Eliminate your mpMin/mpMax resources and plot the entire globe, and
>> see if you get any contours. If not, make sure your data has values
>> that fall within your specified min/max contour values...
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Adam
>>
>> Erik Noble wrote:
>>> I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am trying to plot one variable
>>> (sea-level pressure) from a gridded GFS file in .nc format.
>>> 2 questions:
>>> Do I really need to specify a sub-region tp plot the contours?
>>> The data only pertains to a region; the file itself only has data from
>>> Lon35E, 35W: Lat:35 N to -25 S.
>>> Why won't my script plot my conour intervals?
>>> The contour plot I am resulting does not draw all of the
>>> contourintervals that I want it to
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Erik
>>> a = addfile("met_em.d01.2006-08-07_00:00:00.nc","r")
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ;do it = 0,ntimes-1,8 ; TIME LOOP
>>> ; print("Working on time: " + times(it) )
>>> ; print("Working on file: " + numFILES(ifil) )
>>> slp = a->PMSL(0,:,:)
>>> ; slp = slp/100 ; pa to mb
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ; create default plot
>>> ;************************************************
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","ce") ; open a ps file
>>> ; Set some Basic Plot options
>>> inputres = True
>>> inputres_at_MainTitle = "FNL Boundary Condition"
>>> mpres= True
>>> mpres= inputres
>>> mpres_at_mpMinLonF = -35. ; select a
>>> subregion
>>> mpres_at_mpMaxLonF = 35
>>> mpres_at_mpMinLatF = -25.
>>> mpres_at_mpMaxLatF = 35
>>> mpres_at_cnLineColor = "NavyBlue"
>>> mpres_at_cnHighLabelsOn = True
>>> mpres_at_cnLowLabelsOn = True
>>> mpres_at_cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels" ; set the
>>> contour levels
>>> mpres_at_cnMinLevelValF = 90000. ; set the
>>> minimum contour level
>>> mpres_at_cnMaxLevelValF = 104000. ; set the
>>> maximum contour level
>>> mpres_at_cnLevelSpacingF = 400. ; set the
>>> interval between contours
>>> mpres_at_gsnContourLineThicknessesScale = 2.0
>>> plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,slp,mpres) ; create a default
>>> plot
>>> end