Getting 10m Winds out of NARR data

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:35:16 +0000

Hi, I "think" after a couple of hours of figuring,
trying, etc., that I've succeeded in extracting the 10m
winds out of a NARR flx file. However, I can't find
anything that definitively tells me that what I'm doing is
correct, so I'm wondering if there's somebody out there
who is able to confirm whether I'm correct. I've had
to "intelligently guess" at this based on a number of
different sources, but I don't fully trust my intelligence.

The source of these NARR files is

http://dss.ucar.edu/pub/narr/

My "guess" is that in the following, using a first index
of "0" gives me 10m winds, and a first index of
"1" would give me 30m winds. Does anybody know
for sure?

  f = addfile(NARR_FILE,"r")
  nU10 = f->U_GRD_221_HTGL(0,:,:)
  nV10 = f->V_GRD_221_HTGL(0,:,:)