Re: fatal errors

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:41:02 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Kate,

This error message could be indicating one of three things. The first
is that your NCARG_ROOT environment is not set correctly, the
second is that something happened to the /net/local_lnx/lib/ncarg
directories on your system, and the third is that the files are
there, but they don't have the correct read permissions.

For the first one, you can usually check that NCARG_ROOT is correct by
getting the path to ncl:

     which ncl

The path that is returned from this should be something that ends in
"/bin/ncl". The NCARG_ROOT environment variable should be set to this
same path, minus the "/bin/ncl" part. For example, if "which ncl"
returns "/usr/local/bin/ncl", then NCARG_ROOT should be set to
/usr/local.

Of course, it is possible that NCL was installed in a non-standard way
on your system, and then you might need to check with your system
administrator about what the correct setting for NCARG_ROOT should be.

For the second part, you can see if something happened to the files on
your system. If you type:

    ls /net/local_lnx/lib/ncarg

you should see several directories? One of these directories should
be "colormaps". If you don't see these directories, then something
might have happened to the files.

Thirdly, if the directories appear to be there, then it could be a
permissions problem. Type:

    ls -l /net/local_lnx/lib/ncarg
    ls -l /net/local_lnx/lib/ncarg/colormaps

and make sure that the permissions column (the leftmost column)
looks something like this:

   -rw-rw-r-- 1 root abc 1326 Aug 1 23:42 wxpEnIR.rgb
or
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root abc 1326 Aug 1 23:42 wxpEnIR.rgb

Please let me know if none of this describes your situation and
I'll try to figure out something else to try.

--Mary