Internal Behaviour of system() Command

From: Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 <bruce.lunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:34:32 -0500

Hello,

I have been having "issues" (for lack of a better word)
with the behaviour of the system() command. There have
been a couple of ways in which I have tried to use it
and I have had problems. One of these is illustrated
below and can be executed from the command line:

ncl> system("date &")
sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
sh: -c: line 0: `date & | more'

Apparently the internals of system() try to pipe the
output of the input command to "more" ? If so, I would
think the default behaviour of system() should be to
execute the input command "as is", and leave the "| more"
up to the user or provide it as an option.

Thanks, Bruce

=====
Bruce Lunde
Bruce.Lunde_at_navy.mil