Re: a problem in installing NCL

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:27:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, eric192 wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
> I am trying to install NCL in my computer,which is helpful for my study .I followed the instructions form the website :
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml#RunCygwinX, and I installed cygwin software before I install NCL.But when I went to
> step 9, which says"
> To test your installation of NCL, type the following:
> cp $NCARG_ROOT home/lib/ncarg/nclex/xyplot/xy04n.ncl .

LiFei,

The line above is not what the document says to type. It says:

   cp $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/xyplot/xy04n.ncl .

What this is instructing you to do is copy an example NCL script from
the above directory to your home directory (this is what the "."
indicates).

> I received the error information which says"cp:cannot stat 'usr/local\r': NO such file or directory"

You may need to check what you set the NCARG_ROOT environment variable
to. Make sure it has a leading "/"; for example "/usr/local" and not
"usr/local".

> Besides, when I start Cygwin icon on the desktop, it displays 9 lines"bash: $'r': command not found"
> I don't know where did I make a mistake.

This is not an NCL problem, but an issue with how you set up
Cygwin. Did you modify your .bashrc file? If so, you might have
introduced some errors in it. Please double check this file and see if
you have a line that might be causing the above error message to
appear, and try to fix it.

If you continue to have problems, it would be better to go to the
Cygwin/X home page and read their FAQs on setting up your home
environment. You might even want to consider starting from scratch if
you continue to have problems. Then you can try starting up a Cygwin/X
window before you make any modifications to your home .* files. If this
works, then you can slowly make changes to your .* files.

Good luck,

--Mary