Re: Minor Tick Marks and Grid Lines

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:39:28 -0600 (MDT)

Bruce,

The gsn*Spacing resources were created a long time ago, before we had
the ability to do tickmarks on maps. They do not tie into the grid
that you get when you set mpGridAndLimbOn to True.

I think what might work better for you is to turn off the minor
tickmarks, as you probably don't need these if you have the grid lines
on.

To do this, set:

   res_at_pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always"

This is the "new" way of getting real map tickmarks, and you get
the nice degree symbol to boot. This resource has the effect
of turning off minor ticks, so there's no longer the problem of
trying to get things to line up.

Meanwhile, I will update the documentation on these gsn*Spacing
resources to indicate that they are old, and that the
other methods might be preferred.

If you do want minor tickmarks, then I will need to think about how to
get these to line up with your grid. The problem here is that you were
picking a spacing of 25, and I believe the minor tickmarks are
appearing at different intervals.

--Mary