Problem with Vertical Transect in WRF File

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:30:18 +0000

Hi,

Thanks to folks at NCL and wrfhelp, I'm moving along in
the production of my graphics for vertical slices from WRF
Files. However, now I've run across an issue that I don't
"think" is my problem - the underlying terrain doesn't at
all look right.

First, a Google Earth picture of the terrain is at

http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/Bitterroot.jpg

What I'm trying to do is get a West-East transect across the
valley, hopefully showing temperature inversions. In the
above graphic, my transect is roughly along that white path
between the "269" and "531" near the bottom.

My script, at:

http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/WRFVTransect.ncl

(note that the wrfout file is available at:

http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/wrfout.nc

)

plots a vertical transect across the region, and you can see from
the image below that the underlying terrain is wrong:

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/MSOCWA7-GFS-VertT-FH00.jpg>

However, my script also plots the transect over the terrain, and this
looks like it's placed right where it should be:

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/MSOCWA7-GFS-VertT-FH00-transect.jpg>

This seems simple enough, and I'm beginning to suspect an issue in the
routines. My next step is to try to extract and dump the values of "z" along
the bottom of the transect. I "think" I understand that "z" isn't exactly the
same as the HGT field, and I'm wondering if this is the root of my problems?

Thanks,

Don

--
Arctic Region Supercomputing Center