zonal_mpsi pressure level behavior

From: Chris Brierley <christopher.brierley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:20:36 -0400

Hi Folks,

I've noticed some odd and undocumented behavior of the zonal_mpsi
routine. The magnitude of the overturning appears to be rather sensitive
to the pressure levels chosen. The documentation states that the top
level cannot be above 5mb, so I'd chosen 150mb as my highest level. This
choice roughly doubles the magnitude of the output!

Having only sparse coverage in the upper atmosphere also acts to amplify
the output. I don't really understand why this is the case, as the
integration should go down to the surface for each level rather than
requiring information above it. Can I ask for the documentation to
strongly recommend using the example pressure levels to avoid
over-estimation of the streamfunction, because I've spent a fair amount
of time investigating the amount of vertical motion, trying to reconcile
it with the over-estimated streamfunction?

Cheers,
Chris

--
Dr Christopher Brierley,
Department of Geology and Geophysics, Yale University.