Installing v5.0 from source

From: Mark Branson <mark_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:03:07 -0700

Hello.

I'm taking a stab at installing the new v5.0 of ncarg/ncl on my Mac
PowerPC G5 from the source code. I'm motivated to do this because
I'm trying to run the CCSM AMWG variability diagnostics package and
it's failing on the 6-hourly power spectra plots, and this part of
the package uses fortran programs called by ncl routines, so WRAPIT
needs to work properly. And we do not use GNU fortran on the
machines in our research group -- we have both the Absoft and XLF
compilers available. (From some previous posts I've seen on ncl-
talk, I suspect that my problems are stemming from the fact that we
have a g77-compiled version of NCL v4.2.0.a032, but I'm using a
different fortran compiler within WRAPIT to produce the shared object
libraries, and that's causing some sort of conflict.)

So I'm following the directions in the INSTALL.html file. I did the
blockdata test and XLF fails that but Absoft is fine, so I'll use the
Absoft fortran compiler.

Now I'm testing ymake and it says:

ymake : Unable to open NCARG_CONFIG dir : /usr/local/lib/ncarg/config

But I don't think the problem is that it's not recognizing my system
info, because I can do this:

/Users/mark/testncl/ncl_ncarg-5.0.0/config> uname -s
Darwin
/Users/mark/testncl/ncl_ncarg-5.0.0/config> uname -m
Power Macintosh

I should note that this machine currently has ncarg v4.2.0.a023 and
ncl v4.2.0.a032 already installed on it.

Thanks!
Mark