Re: Vis5d writing problems

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:51:21 -0700

Hi John

First, what version of NCL are you using? You can determine this by
invoking: ncl -V

> I am having difficulty piping in a grib file and converting to v5d
> format. I am reading in multiple variables and wish to output these
> in v5d format. I can get a single variable to output, but get the
> error (below) when trying to output multiple variables.

Do I understand you correctly that when you say 'piping' you mean
something like: cat myDataFile | ncl ?

If so, I would suggest that you may find it easier to identify and
open your data file within NCL itself

> fatal:v5d_write - data size mismatch
> fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 146 in file
> outgribv5d.ncl
>
> As I understand it I need to output a 3-d file despite the fact
> that I have a 5-d grid (lat,lon,lev,time,var).

That's true; the 3d grid of values is what vis5D understands.

> I am probably outputting this incorrectly. I am not sure how to
> structure the multivariate aspect (ie., do I put variables in the
> level column..?) Any help would be appreciated.

It would appear, at first glance, that when you call v5d_create(),
not all of your arguments are defined; perhaps those are defined in
other parts of your NCL code?

The error you're seeing would indicate that the dimension sizes of
your data (columns, rows, levels) aren't set properly -- they need to
be as noted in the description of v5d_create():
        the number of values to write is equal to nr * nc * nl, ordered as:

                data[row + nr * (col + nc * lev)]

        where row increases from North to South, col(umn) increases from
West to East, and lev(el) increases from bottom to top.

----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin_at_ucar.edu 303.497.1832