Extrapolation problem

From: Tummuri, Spandana <spandana.tummuri_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:39:18 -0600

Hello,

I downloaded a particular file from the ESG website. The file consists of variable VWind V(time,lev,lat,lon) and has six hourly data for one month (May). For some weird reason, the file had V variables written for all 124 times values (31 days * 4-6hourly periods per day) but the time variable itself was not written correctly. It did have 124 time values but some of the time values were equal to 0 instead of the actual values(60373,60373.25 etc). I wanted the time variables as they should be and not zeroes. I am not very good at NCL programming and wasn't sure how to replace the zeroes with the actual time values. I tried the following options:

1) I wrote a program to open a new file which has the V variables read from the Vfile and time variable read from another file for same time period (U file). It did not work. The time variables still had zeroes.

2) Because they were towards the end of the month (29, 30, and 31st), I removed the V variables for which time variable was zero. So now the V file had data till the 28th of May. The idea was to extrapolate the V values for 29th, 30th and 31st from the V values whose time values were proper. I wrote the attached code. The problem with time variable is fixed now and the time variable has correct values (60373, 60374 etc.) but the V variable is not being extrapolated for those times. I am sure I must have made some mistake with the code but I am not able to figure out what it is.

Can someone please help me fix the code. If you have any further questions please let me know and I will write in detail.
Thanks in advance.
Spandana Tummuri

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

begin

fn1 ="/home/stummuri/Run2/V-35-05-01.nc"

in1 = addfile(fn1, "r")

fn2 ="/home/stummuri/Run2/U-35-05.nc"

in2 = addfile(fn2, "r")

lat = in1->lat

lon = in1->lon

time = in1->time

time1 = in2->time

lev = in1->lev

hyam = in1->hyam

hybm = in1->hybm

date = in2->date

datesec = in2->datesec

V = in1->V

nlat = dimsizes(lat)

mlon = dimsizes(lon)

ntime1 = dimsizes(time1)

nlev = dimsizes(lev)

x = linint1(time, V(lev|:,lat|:,lon|:,time|:), True, time1, 0)

x!0 = "lev"

x!1 = "lat"

x!2 = "lon"

x!3 = "time"

x_at_units = "m/s"

z = (x(time|:,lev|:,lat|:,lon|:))

z!0 = "time"

z!1 = "lev"

z!2 = "lat"

z!3 = "lon"

z_at_units = "m/s"

filo="/home/stummuri/Run2/V-35-05-02.nc"

fo=addfile(filo,"c")

fo->V = z

fo->lat = lat

fo->lon = lon