Failure with updated RHEL3 gcc3

From: Jack Glendening <ncarg_drjack_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:59:14 -0800

Running ncl version 4.2.0.a034 (which I will call the "old" ncl) on a
RHEL3 OS using gcc3, specifically gcc-3.2.3-52 (which I will call the
"old" gcc), some months ago I had a problem with the "NhlNewMarker"
command failing in NCL but was able to get around that by using the
fix given at
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2007/0366.html.
However, 10 days ago I started getting the failure again and I found
that RHEL had that night "upgraded" their gcc3 to gcc-3.2.3-59 (the
"new" gcc). Reverting back to the "old" gcc made the error go away,
so it is definitely some ncl-gcc interaction which causes the error.
Unfortunately using the "old" gcc as a work around is not very appealing
as there are others who are also using my code on other systems and I
don't want to ask them to use an older (security risk?) gcc.

Since I had been using an "old" ncl I thought that perhaps upgrading
to the "current" ncl (5.0.0) might solve the problem. Unfortunately I
find it gives the "NhlNewMarker" error with _both_ the "new" and "old"
gcc libraries!

So I'm looking for a fix to get "NhlNewMarker" working, ideally one
which would use the "current" ncl version with the "new" RHEL3 gcc3.

               Jack