Re: tips to unstagger data from WRF

From: <jimmyc_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:43:55 -0600 (CST)

I will be looking at all levels (sfc, 850, 500, 300).
I am exploring the various methods now but my lack of knowledge in the NCL
language is making it slow.
Thanks for any insight
jimmyc

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007,
Gerry Creager wrote:

> At what level are you looking for U/V winds? If you're looking at the
> surface, and using ARW, the surface U/V data are Arakawa-A grid, or,
> destaggered.
>
> gerry
>
> jimmyc_at_iastate.edu wrote:
>> Hi Erik-
>> It appears you can use the functions for WRF:
>> wrf_user_getvar to get unstaggered wind vector components
>>
>> But it also looks like you need to use wrf_uvmet to get those components to
>> Earth relative coordinates.
>>
>> I havent tried this yet but I need to. Any advice out there?
>> jimmyc
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Erik Noble wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I am looking at U an V variables from WRF output data. if you look
>>> at the Lat and lon attributes of the following 2 variables, you'll
>>> notice that they are "staggered";
>>>
>>> float U(Time, bottom_top, south_north, west_east_stag) ;
>>> U:FieldType = 104 ;
>>> U:MemoryOrder = "XYZ" ;
>>> U:description = "x-wind component" ;
>>> U:units = "m s-1" ;
>>> U:stagger = "X" ;
>>> U:coordinates = "XLONG_U XLAT_U" ;
>>> float V(Time, bottom_top, south_north_stag, west_east) ;
>>> V:FieldType = 104 ;
>>> V:MemoryOrder = "XYZ" ;
>>> V:description = "y-wind component" ;
>>> V:units = "m s-1" ;
>>> V:stagger = "Y" ;
>>> V:coordinates = "XLONG_V XLAT_V" ;
>>>
>>> The WRF is on a Akarawa C-Grid. If I want to "unstagger" the data so
>>> that I can compare the data to other data st regular lat and lon
>>> ponts, does anyone have a suggestion on how to do thi in NCL?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Erik Noble

James Correia, Jr. PhD.
Email: jimmyc @ iastate.edu