Re: "lgJustification" default

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:14:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ozan,

I think I mislead you with regard to your legend question. You are
right, it's defaulting to "CenterCenter" in your case. When you create
a legend from scratch, then the lgJustification indeed defaults to
"BottomLeft".

When you turn on a legend that's associated with an XY plot (by using
the pmLegendDisplayMode resource), however, the lgJustification
resource is modified depending on where the legend is positioned.

If you go to the documentation for lgJustification:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/lg.shtml#lgJustification

You will see a note that the PlotManager may intercept this resource
value. If you click on that PlotManager link, it takes you
(eventually) to a discussion about lgJustfication at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml

     "PlotManager intercepts one Legend resource, as follows:
      lgJustification PlotManager sets the initial default value of
      lgJustification to CenterCenter. It then constrains the value of
      this resource using the rules of the PlotManager Location Control
      Model."

(You have to scroll down a bit to see the above description). I think
this link could be improved so that it takes you right to the legend
discussion. This might cause you to miss some other discussion that
might be important, though, so I'm not sure a link change would be
helpful here.

--Mary