Re: wrf-gribs in ncl?

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:23:38 -0700

To add a little to the comments from Dennis and Rick, typical WRF
user-produced files have the center set to
255 because anyone can run the model and produce GRIB output. There
is no officially recognized WMO
center that is responsible for the output.

When NCL does not recognize a center it uses the standard WMO table
for the first parameters 1-127, but
because parameters 128-254 are designated "reserved for use by the
originating center", it does not attempt
to assign a name and units to parameters with these indexes.

However, in the WRF files I have looked at so far, the parameters
above 127 seem to correspond with the
parameters in the standard table provided by NCEP (US National Center
for Environmental Prediction) as
listed here:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

You can make NCL recognize these, as Dennis notes, by setting NCL up
to recognize a user-defined table.
Look at
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB1-user-defined-parameter-tables

To use the NCEP table 2 values you do not have to create your own
text version of the table. You can grab it at

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/ncep_opn.txt

You will need only to edit the line that starts with -1 to make it
universally applicable.
Change
-1 : 7 : 0 : 0
-1:-1:-1:-1

Then set
NCL_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH to the path of the file.

Hope this helps.
  -dave