Re: Equivalent "gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_ce" template for PyNgl?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:34:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi Daran,

We do have the PyNGL equivalent of what you are asking for,
but it's not done the way it is done with the gsn_csm functions.

Rather, what you can do is create the filled contour plot using
Ngl.contour, create a vector plot using Ngl.vector, and then overlay
both of these on a map that was created with Ngl.map:

   contour_plot = Ngl.contour(wks,ta,cfres)
   vector_plot = Ngl.vector(wks,ua,va,vcres)
   map_plot = Ngl.map(wks,mpres)

   Ngl.overlay(map_plot,fill_contour_plot)
   Ngl.overlay(map_plot,vector_plot)
   Ngl.draw(map_plot)
   Ngl.frame(wks)

For a more complete example, see the "overlay1.py" example at:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Examples/gallery.shtml

You could also combine two of the above steps by creating the vector
plot, and then a filled contour plot over a map using Ngl.contour_map:

   vector_plot = Ngl.vector(wks,ua,va,vcres)
   contour_map_plot = Ngl.contour_map(wks,ta,cfres)

   Ngl.overlay(contour_map_plot,vector_plot)
   Ngl.draw(contour_map_plot)
   Ngl.frame(wks)

--Mary