Re: GIMMS NDVI

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:12:12 -0700

Michael Notaro wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience reading GIMMS NDVI
> data with NCL (or fortran even)?
>
> http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/data/gimms/index.shtml
>
> Seems the data is on an Albers projection. I have North American
> 8km files named NA*VIg. I am unclear about the data format at
> this time and have emailed UMD and NASA for more info.
> Just figured I would check with ncl-talk to see if anyone has used it.
I have *not* looked at the above NDVI data specifically. However, I did
look at
NDVI for something else. If a similar format .... it is a flat binary
file containing
data of type "byte".

Albers projection: Do a google on "Albers projection". One example
http://welcome.warnercnr.colostate.edu/class_info/nr502/lg2/projection_descriptions/albers.html

You will have to provide the geographic information for the plot.
If you can get the YLAT and XLONinfo [let's say 2D] the
      x_at_lat2d = YLAT
      x_at_lon2d = XLON
NCL will plot the data.

Offline, I will send you
(1) an NCL script that reads the raw binary file I was using and creates
netCDF
(2) read the netCDF and plots the data.
Maybe I had more info than you.

Good luck