NCL Color Table "Depths" (Green1, Green2, Green3 all equal Green)

From: Capehart, William J <William.Capehart_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:19:08 -0700

In working with NCL we've been a little disappointed in color table
"depth" we have been experiencing in that we cannot resolve the full
range of color advertized in the documentation.

For example, when plotting colors shown at the page

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/named_colors.shtml

"SpringGreen", and the "SpringGreen1,2,3&4" series are the same "Kermit
the Frog Green" in any output medium (X11 thru postscript) while colors
like "Pink" are gray. Also, these colors (or lack of) follow through
from the screen display to photo quality printers. We seem to only be
able to resolve a small range of the total available colors (less than
256) and closer to the 32 colors in the default hlu_default table no
matter what we try. This happens on 32- and 64-bit systems.

When I type in the same color combinations into other graphical
packages, lile IDL, I see the distinct colors that are missing in NCL.

Am I missing an environmental variable or similar setting inside or
outside NCL that needs to be set?

.Thanks Much!
Bill

Bill Capehart <William.Capehart_at_sdsmt.edu> Associate Professor
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences Land Surface Processes
213 Mineral Industries Building Hydrometeorology
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692