Re: Adressing memory past the 2 Gb limit

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:22:31 -0600

Hello Christian

> I would need to address a variable past the 2 Gb memory limit. The
> variable is read off from addfiles using addfiles_GetVar on several
> separate small NetCDF classic files. Is it possible to achieve
> this ? I have both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux machines I can use.

At the moment, NCL does not handle variables > 2Gb, regardless of the
host you are on. This is a limitation internal to NCL, based on
its current implementation.

That said, we have been working on upgrading NCL to be able to
address a variable > 2Gb. We have made good progress and hope to
present to users a version for testing very soon. Would you be
interested in helping us test?

----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies