Re: Error in X-Window Display

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:39:46 -0600

Vinit,

There could be a number of things going on here. I googled this
message, and came across several possible problems and their solutions.
Here's one from NCAR's website regarding an almost full disk:

http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/nets/intro/staff/siemsen/hints/x11auth.html

Another thing you need to make sure of is the following: edit the
/etc/ssh/ssh_config file on your machine to make sure the "ForwardX11"
line is set to yes:

   Forward X11 yes

Another thread mentioned the following:

   I saw this same problem, and have a different issue. I thought I'd
put it here for documentation.

   Somehow my .Xauthority file on my computer on my home box got its
ownership changed.

   doing:

   sudo rm $home/.Xauthority*

and then logging out and back in resolved the issue.

If you done this X11 forwarding before successfully from the same
machine, then the correct solution may be the last one (removing the
.Xauthority file, etc). The other possible issue is if you are doing
this from a machine that is sometimes logged onto by another user. The
.Xauthority file may be set up for that person, and hence when you come
along, it doesn't recognize you as having authentication to forward X11
events. Removing the .Xauthority file should also fix the problem. You
may need to logout and log back in.

--Mary