wrf_map() doesn't put terrain in right place

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 22:16:20 +0000

Hi, here's another problem I've been running into lately -
it's very similar to one I had last summer, that you all helped
me find a fix for.

I'm trying to use the newer wrf NCL functions, as I really like
their potential ease of use. However, in trying to do a simple
terrain plot on a WRF nest, the terrain ends up in the wrong
place. The script is available at

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/Maps/wrfHGT-1.ncl>

and the input data, "wrfoutd02.nc" is in the same directory.
The resulting image is at

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/Maps/Image1.jpg>

You can see that the Alaska Range has moved to the Gulf of Alaska.

This is presumably because the WRF output file represents an inner
nest of a larger domain, and in this nest the Standard Lon and the
Center Lon are different. This "seems" like a common occurrence to me,
unless you place the nest smack in the middle of the parent?

Last summer, you all helped me fix this issue, and such a
script exists at

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/Maps/wrfHGT-2.ncl>

with resulting image at

<http://weather.arsc.edu/Miscellaneous/NCL/Maps/Image2.jpg>

I tried playing around with some resource settings for the wrf_map()
functions, but couldn't get anything to work.

Thanks,

Don

--
University of Montana