Re: getting dimension length from a file

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 10:58:32 -0600

Hi Keith

Try:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/getfiledimsizes.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/getvardims.shtml

So

   f = addfile ("atmos.nc" , "r")
   dSizes = getfiledimsizes( f )
   dNames = getvardims( f )
   print(dSizes+" "+dNames)

Yields

(0) 1 ncl_scalar
(1) 128 lon
(2) 30 lev
(3) 31 ilev
(4) 64 lat
(5) 81 nchar
(6) 1 time
[1] At one level, it looks like 'getvardims' may be a poorly named function.
      However, like light that can be viewed as particles and waves, the
      reference to the file [ f ] is both a file reference *and* a
variable. :-)
[2] Still, I think I will request that there be a function 'getfiledimnames'
      which will, under the hood, uses getvardims.
[3] I will add some documentation.

Good luck

Keith Lindsay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a NetCDF file that has some named dimensions in it whose size I
> would like to get inside an NCL script I'm writing.
>
> The catch is that the file doesn't have any variables that contain these
> dimensions. Because of this I don't see how I can use getfilevardimsizes
> to get the dimension sizes. There are no variables to call it with.
>
> A potentially promising NCL function is getfiledimsizes, which returns
> the sizes of all named dimensions in a file. But I don't see how to
> connect the dimension sizes returned from getfiledimsizes with
> particular dimension names. I don't see a corresponding getfiledimnames
> function.
>
> If I were doing this in Fortran, I would use NF_INQ_DIMID and
> NF_INQ_DIMLEN, but I don't see how to translate that into NCL.
>
> Anyone see how I get size of a dimension out of a file that doesn't have
> a corresponding variable?
>
> Thanks, Keith

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |