reading ascii polar stereo and plotting?

From: Anji Seth <anji.seth_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:52:01 -0400

Hello NCL people,

I have an ascii dataset of estimated climatological snow accumulation
for Antarctica
in polar stereographic coordinates and I would like to read the file
and plot it up in NCL.

I have 2 questions:
1. The NCL example for reading gridded ascii data appears to be for a
regular grid.
Does anyone have an example of how to read polar stereo data?

The data looks like this:

(1) Latitude (degrees)
(2) Longitude (degrees)
(3) X(m) - Polar Stereographic (latitude of true scale 71S, ellipsoid
WGS84)
(4) Y(m) - Polar Stereographic (latitude of true scale 71S, ellipsoid
WGS84)
(5) Accumulation Rate (kg/m2/a)
(6) Estimated r.m.s. error at 100 km scale, as a percentage of column
5, (%)
-39.36 317.77 -3949233 4350420 NaN NaN
-39.51 317.60 -3949231 4325353 NaN NaN
-39.65 317.44 -3949238 4300275 NaN NaN
.
.
.

2. Once I have read the data into NCL can I use
gsn_csm_contour_map_polar ?
The resolution of the data is effectively 100 km. Would I have to
regrid it to T85 before
I could plot or is there a way to plot on the native grid?

Suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks very much. -Anji

Anji Seth, Geography, University of Connecticut