Re: max number of files opened?

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:02:33 -0600

Hi Ed,

If you are using version 4.3.1 or later, then by default NCL keeps
the files open using a system file descriptor for each file. In this
case the
number of simultaneously open files is limited by the number of file
descriptors available from the OS for each process. Typically, this is
1024 but it could be another value if your OS is unusual.
If you need to open more NetCDF files, you can set the file option
'SuppressClose' to False using the call:

setfileoption('nc', 'SuppressClose', False)

With this setting, NCL opens and closes the file at the OS level for
each operation it performs, with the result that you can essentially
have
an unlimited number of files open. Prior to version 4.3.1 this was
the default. It was changed to improve performance. However, if you are
just opening files for reading the performance difference is not
particularly significant.
  -dave