Re: modifying resolution in NCL-produced PNG output

From: Fred Clare <fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:30:56 -0600

On Aug 24, 2008, at 11:18 PM, Saji N. Hameed wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was surprised to see that NCL can natively produce "png"
> output. Is it true? Could the document at
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/
> gsn_open_wks.shtml
>
> be updated, please?
>
> saji

The png driver is an experimental driver that can be accessed using
the gsn_open_wks function with "png" as the type (first arguement).
Its use is problematic. It uses the X11 rasterizer which can produce
poor results (or none at all) and for this reason the driver is not
publicly supported. You can try it to see if it works for your needs.

It is on our list to produce high quality png directly, but this is
probably at least a year away. For the time being your best bet is
probably file conversion as discussed at:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#o_formats_002

We will add this topic to the NCL FAQ.

Fred Clare