Re: beginning and ending index of a certain color table

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:57:42 -0600

I don't know how to directly get the number of colors
without opening a workstation.

If someone does ... please respond.

----
Here is one approach:
   wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","test1")
   gsn_define_colormap(wks,"BlWhRe")
   cmap = gsn_retrieve_colormap(wks)
   dimc = dimsizes(cmap)
   nMax = dimc(0)                     ; max colors
For BlWhRe, it would be nMax=103
Hence, the start/end indices would be 2,102(=nMax-1)
You could create a function.
function getNumberColors (wks:graphic]
begin
   cmap = gsn_retrieve_colormap(wks)
   dimc = dimsizes(cmap)
   nMax = dimc(0)                     ; max colors
   return(nMax)
end