Custom Equations

From: Nicholas B. Tito <Nicholas.B.Tito_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: 03 Oct 2008 08:36:15 -0400

Dear NCL Users,

My name is Nick, a graduate student in the Department of Chemistry
at Dartmouth College. I apologize for the post in advance if this
question is answered within documentation somewhere. Is it possible
to input custom equations into NCL, such as ones that employ
variables at different pressure levels? For example,

X = [ u(1000 hPa) + u(850 hPa) + u(700 hPa) ] / 3

In other words, how do I go about referencing variables at specific
pressure levels within one equation in the NCL coding syntax?
(Note: This equation would be calculated on GRIB2 data converted
into NetCDF).

Thanks for your help! I'm very new to NCL, so the help is greatly
appreciated!

Nick Tito